President Donald Trump said that Iran was not ready to make the right deal,” as Washington continued to monitor the conflict and prepared to announce a new package of financial sanctions on Tehran.
Speaking to reporters when asked about U.S. military options toward Iran, Trump said Washington was “watching what is happening,” adding that Tehran strongly wanted an agreement but was not prepared to accept what he described as the right terms.
Trump also claimed that the United States had “complete control” over the entire region around the Strait of Hormuz, extending, in his words, to large areas on land.
Washington last week threatened what it described as the toughest financial sanctions ever imposed on Iran. U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is expected to announce details of the new measures on Monday.
Trump has also threatened economic penalties against any country providing “any type of lifeline” to Iran, as tensions surrounding the Strait of Hormuz and regional energy flows continue to rise.
(SANA)
